Remembering Maggi Popkin

Diane Ross

I met Maggi at a gathering of first year law students. We were sitting next to each other. We learned we had both been out of school for five years, we both had recently worked as volunteers for a women's health collective, and we both wanted to be labor lawyers. It was uncanny. We formed a bond that lasted from that day forward. I soon learned that Maggi was very, very smart. I couldn't believe my great fortune to be friends with such a smart person.

I became a labor lawyer and Maggi took a different path. I remember visiting Maggi in El Salvador and seeing uniformed men with rifles slung over their shoulders at major street intersections and I remember sitting in a restaurant talking about the political situation. Maggi constantly told me to lower my voice so I wouldn't be overheard. I kept saying things like "what are you doing here -- this is way too scary." Yet I couldn't believe my great fortune to be friends with such a brave and committed person.

After Maggi moved to the D.C. area, she and Damian often traveled to Los Angeles over the Christmas holidays or in the summer. Maggi would usually try to find a way to come up to San Francisco to visit me, even if it meant flying back to D.C. on a red eye. I couldn't believe my great fortune to be friends with such a caring and giving person.

In fact, the entire way Maggi lived her life was an inspiration to me.

I sometimes ask myself if I knew I had one year to live, what would I do with my life. I think if Maggi had known she was going to die she would have continued doing what she was doing -- raising her beloved son, fighting for human and civil rights, caring for her many friends. On the other hand, maybe she wouldn't have remodeled the kitchen.

I include a note of humor because with all her monumental qualities, Maggi was also good at being silly. I loved watching her tease Damian and laugh with him. Damian, your mother loved you more than anything and was very proud of you. It is so unfair to lose her so soon. Please know that your family and Maggi's friends all love you and will support and care for you in any way we can.

Maggi's friendship was a huge gift. I love her and will miss her terribly. But it is some small comfort that the gift of her friendship will be with me in my heart forever.

Diane Ross
DRoss@cta.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home